Here are some advices to protect your knees while working out.
How to perform squats:
1. Proper set up is key. You want to keep a strong center of balance therefore have a nice tight core. Pull your belly button into your spine. It'll help build strength in your core and in your back.
2. Feet parallel or slightly turned out (no more than 15 degrees) are either hip width or shoulder width. You'll find what position is comfortable for you. If you need to widen it slightly, then you can adjust.
3. Weight is in your heels, but you still have your entire feet planted.
4. Keep your torso upright and when you descend, toes should not track over your knees so think "Sit back and down".
5. When you stand up, drive weight into your heels and squeeze your glutes at the top.
6. Important: when you stand up, I want you to push your knees out. Pretend my hands are on the outside of your leg and you're trying to push your knees out to touch my hands. This will help protect your knees.
How to perform lunges:
1. Same as number 1 for squats.
2. When you bend into a lunge, bend your back leg first making sure your knee and hip is stacked (or a straight line), this will ensure your front leg is 90 degrees so your knees do not track over your toes.
3. When you stand up, drive weight in your heels and push your knees out again.
Alternatively, you can replace any exercise you can't perform by tapping this icon 🔁, which you'll find next to the name of the exercise.
Article is closed for comments.